In our part of the world, beauty is usually linked to a fair skin. Most people, especially women, think of a whiter skin tone to be more attractive and handsome. This is why many people with dark skin tones use skin lightening creams to improve their complexion. This has led to a booming industry for skin whitening products.
Unfortunately, most of these skin lightening creams contain dangerous chemicals that may enhance the skin tone temporarily but are extremely damaging to the skin in the long run. Many people have experienced disastrous results from unsafe whitening products. However, being a little careful can go a long way to help you choose the right product.
Let’s look at how to choose the right skin lightening cream and introduce you to an alternate permanent skin lightening treatment in Dubai.
How Do they Work?
Most skin lightening creams work by reducing the amount of melanin in the skin. Melanin is a dark brown pigment found in the hair and skin that protects against harmful UV radiation. The whitening creams eliminate this melanin, thereby enhancing the skin color. Unfortunately, the lack of melanin exposes the body to harmful sun rays and increases the risk of sun damage and even cancer.
Whitening creams are also used to treat skin abnormalities. They are popular for getting rid of freckles, acne marks, skin discoloration, dark spots and age spots. They can also be used to make birthmarks and scars less visible.
Precautions Before you Purchase
The major concern with skin lightening creams is their harsh ingredients. Most of these creams contain strong chemicals that can be very harmful to the skin. However, if you make an informed choice, your risk of getting your hands on the wrong product can be significantly reduced.
- Read the ingredients on the label. Steer clear of products containing harmful chemicals like mercury and hydroquinone. They may appear by the names of calomel, mercuric, mercurous or mercurio.
- Look for creams that not just whiten but also moisturize. Such creams are generally safer.
- Opt for products that contain natural ingredients like Kojic acid, turmeric powder, lemon juice, etc. They have little negative impact on the skin.
- If you have some skin condition, check with your doctor before purchasing a product.
- Don’t sunbathe with the cream on you face once you have purchased it. The combination of whitening cream and sun rays reaching your skin can be disastrous.
While Skin Lightening creams are cheap, easily available and reveal good results, most of them damage the skin in the long run. As soon as you discontinue their usage, their impact begins to become visible in the form of pigmentation and dark spots. Skin experts suggest a cosmetic skin treatment as a healthy alternative to skin lightening creams.
Cosmetic skin treatment is a non-invasive procedure that can lighten the skin tone easily, and without any long-term side effects. Chemical peels, Dermabrasion and Microdermabrasion are some of the most popular techniques among them. They remove the outer skin, layer by layer, to reveal a healthier, glowing and whiter skin beneath. This ensures you get a lifetime of healthy and white skin!